In 1827, the Palmer Family, the founding family of Victoria, built a home called The Recess on this site. The Recess was destroyed by fire in 1843 and replaced by Recess II in 1854. In 1910, it was once again rebuilt as Recess III in the Queen Anne Revival style by Charles Palmer to replace the second house which had fallen into disrepair while Palmer was in the Klondike.
The property was sold at auction in 1929 to the Wood family who called it Dunrovin. Kathryn (Kay) Wood and her husband Howard operated one of Prince Edward Island’s first tourist homes, including guest cottages, on the property for over fifty years.
Kay Wood, who passed away at age 100 in 2007, was well-known locally both as a tourism operator and as a writer. Kay penned a newspaper column for many years and co-ordinated the publication of the book An Historical Compilation of Victoria by the Sea, Our Legacy and Trust. With this title, she is credited with coining the name Victoria-by -the-Sea, which is now widely used to refer to this little seaside village.
In 2017 we asked for help to name our newly renovated cottages with a contest. The winning names were:
Cottage #1 / The Morning Star
This ship was a schooner built in the Tryon Rivers by William Clark in Tryon in 1858. It was 42 feet, 2 inches long x 13 feet 6 inches wide x 5 feet deep, and displaced 24 Tons.
Cottage #2 / The Blue Jay
Cottage #3 / The Terre Rouge
Cottage #4 / The Wild Rose
Cottage #5 / The Lady Kay
Former owner of Victoria Cottages
Cottage #6 / The Happy Return
This ship was a schooner, built in Tryon in 1834 by John Clark. It was 48 feet, 8 inches long (Probably Length on Waterline) x 15 feet, 11 inches wide (“beam”) x 7 feet, 4 inches deep (“draft”). It displaced 50 Tons.